Tuesday 11 August 2015

Hello Hello Fresh!


Dia dhuit my loveliessss…..another day another post.

Now, if you live in London, chances are you have been handed a voucher for HelloFresh at some point or left in some package you got, like me. I got my £25 off coupon card with my Glossybox. So I grabbed this chance to check this service out.




Now, in our household, all the food shopping takes place on the first week of every month. And we usually stock up on things just to avoid the hassle of schlepping to the supermarket for an onion or a potato. But it was exciting to get a box with just enough ingredients for 2 meals. And I was impressed with the pre measured ingredients and with absolutely no wastage at all. I did read some reviews saying that some items were missing off their box but I received every little ingredient even the 2 cloves of garlic!!




The recipe cards for the 3 meals were very easy to follow and if you follow it to the t you will have no issues getting it right. So a Michelin star chef you definitely don’t have to be.





Hello Fresh gives you 3 options for recipe boxes. You have your Classic box which comes in options 3 meals per week for 2 people (£39), 3 meals per week for 3 people (£49), 3 meals per week for 4 people (£59) and 5 meals per week for 2 people (£49). I selected the Classic box - 3 meals per week for 2 people which came up to £39 and with the £25 off it came up to £14, which worked out really good for me.

There’s also a vegetarian option which comes up to £36 for the 3 meals for 2 people and £59 for the 3 meals for 4 people. And a Family box which consists of 4 meals for 4 –5 people per week.

You get an option to select the days and time you will be around to receive your box, weekends included, and this is a weekly commitment if you decide to stick with it and again you can choose the days you will be able to receive your box. I ordered the Classic box and it had fish, chicken and steak in it. I couldn’t open my box till the next day but it was fresh as it had ample ice packs and Styrofoam to make sure the stuff stays fresh.

Now I’m a total food junkie and would love to think I appreciate good food. But the hubby is tougher to please. Luckily, the 3 meals that we had were all crowd pleasers and definite summer style dinners. We had the Chicken Paillard with Rosemary potatoes, rocket salad and gremolata, Chipotle Steak wedge and Coconut Poached cod with kaffir lime and noodles.

Ok so pros – very easy process, easy to read recipe cards, Quantities are spot on with no wastage, fresh produce from local farmers and butchers, you don’t have to possess culinary skills or knowledge to have a go.

Cons – some of the recipes do require you to use techniques like butterflying a chicken breast, you can choose not to but if you have never even heard of this, it might put you off a bit.

Since we already had most of the items purchased as part of our monthly shopping, there were instances where the hubby had to turn around and ask me could you not have just made this yourself with the stuff we have. Meh!He is right though…I love cooking so the meals would have been something that I would make in my kitchen anyways and bar the chipotle paste, red wine vinegar and the kaffir lime leaf, I had everything else in my kitchen. I think this would be ideal for couples on the rush or for people who despise the thought of cooking.

There’s just too much food for one person for one meal and the measurements don’t include for just one person. The follow up calls…..oh the follow up calls! And emails- it just annoyed me! Now my deal with Hello fresh was a one off try it kind of deal but I have received at least one mail every couple of weeks since then. So if you ever do try it, please don’t give out a mail address that you usually use.

I know it looks like there more cons than pro but that’s not the case the cons are just teeny tiny things compared to the convenience this will compensate for. Overall, 3.5/5

Have you used Hello Fresh yet?What are your thoughts?

https://uk.pinterest.com/fursttymer/http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogspot/FcyxuDhttps://instagram.com/f1rstt1mer/https://twitter.com/f1rstt1mer

0 comments:

Post a Comment