Friday 26 June 2015

Toy Kingdom - Harrods


Ahala. This gone weekend, I think I had a nostalgic journey through my pre-teen ages. When I was a child, there was nothing more amusing than a well organised toy store, arranged by the type of toys. And it was nice to know the child in me is pretty much still around.




In order to keep my 20 month old (I know…I know…I should start referring him as a year and half old) entertained and in a major plan to wear him out a bit?(seriously super active kid), we decided to treat him with a trip to the Harrods Toy kingdom. But it turned out to be a bigger treat for the hubby and me.


Often toy stores tend to be crammed and just too busy for my taste so I usually tend to avoid it and just order my stuff online..well I say my stuff but it’s actually for the kid…honest! But the sheer size of the place will just impress you. I have never thought of this as a place to visit while in London but it’s definitely in my list now. The colours, the different types of toys, music and the different cartoon movies playing in different corners of the floor all will definitely take you back to your precious ages!!!

Couple of years back, now 6 year old Riley Maida was all over the news, explaining her frustration on the stereotype filled marketing of children’s toys and sectioned into pinks and blues. It might be Riley’s laments that may have got Harrods to put their thinking hats back on and make a bold decision to organise the department organised by themes as opposed to gender and the divide the department into six different worlds. My son didn’t see pink or blue, he just saw toys sectioned into 2 categories, Things I can put in my mouth and Things I can’t.

The department is sectioned into 6 worlds. In the words of Harrods

- The Big Top: a fairground of circus acts and candy floss, with magicians and jugglers on stage surrounded by fancy dress costumes, doll houses, rocking horses and soft toys.

 
 

- The Candy Store: a curious chocolate counter displaying a bizarre array of chocolate fancies and flavors, alongside Papa Bubble who makes flavorsome candy concoctions to order throughout the day.



- The Enchanted Forest: fairies whisper from tree trunks, while wigwams on the forest floor house the latest collections from Sylvanian Families and Flutter Fairies, alongside arts and crafts.









- Wonderland: a colourful ‘Grand Canyon’ of Harrods’ most exclusive and jaw-dropping toys (presided over by a giant dragon) is filled with Hornby train sets, remote-controlled helicopters and Scalextric.







- The Odyssey: a gigantic space rocket crashes through the floor and a huge sun bursts through the wall in front of an Area 51-inspired space and gadget zone, complete with alien space pods and limited-edition pieces.

- The Reading Room: choose from favorite children’s stories at the rotunda of books, climb into one of the special cubby holes to hear famous voices reading extracts, have fun with electronic gaming pods and explore the world of Harry Potter.
Trust my boy to go through all 6 worlds in 3 hours and not break a sweat. As toy stores go this is definitely one I would recommend. The whole place reeks of Willy Wonka-esque styling and will definitely be appreciated by the older kids as well.
The adults had a browse through the beauty section (Me!), Food section(Me!) and the technology section (Him!). I bought some skin care products for a dear price but hopefully the results will be worth the price tag. Will be putting more details in the Beauty section soon.










Needless to say my lil boy was knackered by the end of the journey and we all had some good night’s sleep!


  

https://uk.pinterest.com/fursttymer/http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogspot/FcyxuDhttps://instagram.com/f1rstt1mer/https://twitter.com/f1rstt1mer

0 comments:

Post a Comment