Friday 18 September 2015

Thinking inside the box

Hallo me lovelies!!! Can I please start this post with a question that’s in most of our minds….Where has the sun gone??? Is this officially autumn? I can’t even believe it’s almost the end of 2015…I just blinked there for a while and now we are here almost welcoming 2016. I had to attend some courses and write some exams and hence the long gap. And can i just say....I HATE exams!!!…I mean the whole reason I did uni was just cause I thoght that was the very last time I would have to do an exam. I’m just a complete wreck close to the actual exam. And I was so foolish to think that my uni days will be the last time I would ever hear the words exams and results and in some worse cases both words put in the same sentence. But with the competing work environments right now and most companies actually wanting their employees some sort of qualification trained …it’s just unavoidable!
So, as a treat for clearing a previous exam, decided to have a girl’s night out. This time, in the hope of learning a bit of art and culture, I and the girlies decided(again.as with most of my decisions to step out and do something..I had very little to do with this decision!) to take a trip around the world with Joseph Cornell’s Wanderlust, the latest exhibition at the Royal Academy.


Joseph Cornell was an American artist, sculptor (who could not, ironically, draw, paint or sculpt!!!) and one of the pioneers of assemblage, the art of making connections or reuniting things. Using his art and the ideas behind his work, Cornell manages to travel across seas and oceans, at the comfort of his own New York home. The exhibition gives an opportunity to see a good number of collections of Cornell’s work.


There is a whole of deal of meticulousness and patience that he put into his work and it’s not a case of piling boxes next to each other. The contents of his pieces seem to be scavenged from thrift shops and antique shops as most of his work seems to be massively made of maps, travel guides and toys. But he manages to convey stories with his pieces and you have to admire the thought process that was involved into each composition.

 

If you, like me, enjoy surreal art or even better, appreciate Cornell’s work, you will definitely appreciate the exhibition and if you don’t, this could be an opportunity to see something really unique. The former textile salesman manages to fulfil his dream to travel the world and discover cultures without having to set foot outside New York and in the process transform everyday objects into treasures.

 

 4 July — 27 September

Saturday – Thursday 10am – 6pm
Friday 10am – 10pm
The Sackler Wing, Burlington House
£11.50 (without donation £10)

https://uk.pinterest.com/fursttymer/http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogspot/FcyxuDhttps://instagram.com/f1rstt1mer/https://twitter.com/f1rstt1mer

0 comments:

Post a Comment